Saturday, June 04, 2005

Finding Your Niche

One advantage of an expanding population is that it becomes more and more likely that you'll find someone or some group who shares your tastes.

So I'm looking through the bookstore today and come across a book titled Ill Wind (by Rachel Caine). The cover just happens to have a drawing of a Mustang Mach 1 on it -- and I just happen to have a fondness for that breed of Mustang.

So I've got to do some blurb reading then. I'll just pull out a little quote from the back cover:

The Wardens Association has been around pretty much forever: Some Wardens control fire, others control earth, water , or wind...


Not only am I fond of the title, Warden, for protags with superpowers -- but I also like the idea that they have some kind of control over primal forces.

So I guess now I'll look inside a little -- and first thing up the main character has some sort of control of Djinn -- and the female lead in my first screenplay also had a connection to the Djinn.

In addition to all that, I love thunderstorms and it's about a weather warden.

The moral of the story for me: even if your particular niche is Mustang Mach 1 driving heroes called Wardens with primal thunderstorm powers gained via Djinn not only can you find an audience for your novels, but you can find a novelist who writes books for you.

No comments: