Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My Exploding Computer


This Safely Remove Hardware icon has been sitting in my -- what is it? button tray? Lower right button tray? Anyway, I've highlighted it in the above image -- normally it looks more innocuous.

It's been making me nervous lately -- like if I accidentally press it, then my computer will start ejecting components. I have this image of hard drives and audio cards spitting across the room and impaling me or the cat.

What's worse, it inspires in me a kind of Sartrean anguish that I might suddenly exercise my perfect freedom and make my computer self-destruct.

Better back up the files again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what I want to know is what is the yellow handcuff looking icon is?

Steve Peterson said...

That's Norton S&M -- a little known sub-branch of their company. Actually, it always looked a bit like a scorpion to me.

Wonder what that says about our psychology...